Thursday, November 3, 2011

SAVE THE BEES!!!!

There is a serious epidemic going on in our world and it is the Vanishing of the Bee's! I have been aware of this for the past few years and in landscaping my yard I have been very careful about planting bee friendly plants.  I am also very protective of them when it comes to my dog because she likes to eat them and that is NOT okay. I never swat at them or try to kill them as there is this respect I have for them and what they give us and how hard they work.

I recently watched the movie, Vanishing of the Bees and it was amazing! Jeremy and I watched this together and it was if we were studying for the course of our lives. Bee's are a vital part of our civilization. Without them, we would not have food and they keep our plants growing and thriving through their cross pollination. So it is very important to find out why they have been disappearing. There was a lot of scenarios out there but after watching this movie and hearing different perspectives, I truly do believe their conclusion.

The movie has interviews from beekeepers, scientists and food (yes my man Michael Pollan was part of this movie) and environmental experts from around the world, Katerva nominee “Vanishing of the Bees” not only uncovers the story of the Colony Collapse Disorder phenomenon, but also brings to light its consequences and a platform of everyday solutions, such as monoculture planting and the use of chemicals in our agricultural industry.

If you have Netflix it is free to stream! If you don't I would HIGHLY recommend spending the $3.99 for the pay per view screening.

I will leave you with some memorable quotes from the movie...

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead 


Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realize we cannot eat money. – Cree Indian Proverb

It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. - Albert Einstein 

Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you're a thousand miles from the corn field. - Dwight David Eisenhower

Peace and Love

No comments:

Post a Comment