Sunday, October 30, 2011

Mushroom and Barley Soup

I have decided that a good way this winter to eat whole foods is making crock pot meals! I am so excited to try different recipes. I made a Minnesota Wild Rice Soup and now Mushroom and Barley.  What I really loved about this soup is that it is about 80% local.

Mushroom and Barley Soup

  • 1lb or more of Hazel Dell Mushrooms. I used a mix of cremini and baby shitake
  • 1 sweet onion diced but I used cippolini onions (chopped equivalent to a small onion) which are smaller and sweet and it is the end of the season and Grant Family Farms had some left!
  • 3 carrots peeled and diced from Cressent Farms
  • 3 cloves of garlic pressed from local garlic growers at my farmers market. They don't have a website or I would post it for you.
  • 3/4 cup of pearl barley from Harvest Share Organics
  • 6 cups or a little more of vegetable stock
  • 2tsp of Herbs de Provence from Old Town Spice Shop.
  • 1tsp of crushed red pepper
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • If you would like to make this more hearty I would suggest increasing the broth a little and throwing in some tempeh. Tempeh is my go to protein addition in veggie dishes. 
Throw all ingredients in your crock pot and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Then serve! Perfect Sunday evening meal.

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment