Saturday, December 3, 2011

Roasted Revolution

Roasted Revolution

It has been awhile since my last post and I must apologize. I am usually really good but with traveling I had no access to internet this time and it was a blessing! It felt great to cut off from civilization! However, coming back after the Thanksgiving holiday I have so much to write about so there will be no shortages of interesting blogging.  I must talk about one of my favorite cooking techniques in the fall and winter which is roasted veggies. I LOVE it!

I have discovered a lot of different veggies that are excellent roasted and a lot of different and unique veggies!  Some of my favorite roasted vegetables are carrots, onions, potatoes, sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, turnips, rutabaga, beets, winter squash, parsnips, bell peppers, zucchini, eggplant, and more.  The process of roasting brings out the natural sweetness in vegetables and intensifies their natural flavors. Roasted garlic is another perfect example. While raw garlic is pungent, roasted garlic has a sweeter, milder flavor. You might be hard pressed to choke down a clove of raw garlic, but you can spread six cloves of roasted garlic over a slice of bread as you would butter.

Cooking:
I usually roast my vegetables in the oven from between 400 to 450 degrees.  I like to line my pan with tin foil (sometimes) just to not totally destroy my pans. I will roast anywhere from 20 minutes up to an hour.  Beets are the only vegetable that I cook differently. I typically wash the whole beet and then skin on will wrap in tinfoil then place in oven and let roast for about an hour. When they are done the skin peels off so nicely.

 Peace and Love...Happy Roasting!

No comments:

Post a Comment