Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My Fathers Daughter - Gwyneth Paltrow

Those close to me know my love for Gwyneth! I personally think she is amazing. Her journey through self discovery has been both public and personal. I am a HUGE fan of her blog, Goop. Gwyneth lives a healthy lifestyle, eating a healthy diet, exercise (with Tracy Anderson) and so on. Watching her father go through pancreatic cancer was another catalyst to her speaking out more about healthy eating.  I loved watching her food journey on Spain on the Road Again, feeling as if I was getting to know her and when she announced her cookbook I was the first person in line to buy it! She has put together a wonderful cookbook with options for vegetarian, vegan, kid-friendly, etc. I seriously just love this woman!

While I like everything in this cookbook here are few highlights from "My Fathers Daughter" and "Spain on the Road Again"

Gwyneth Paltrow's Horchata Recipe

Serves 2
1 cup blanched whole almonds, soaked overnight in 2 cups cold water
1 vanilla bean, split
1/4 cup of sugar
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Cayenne pepper
2 cinnamon sticks

Put the almonds and their soaking water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth.  Strain through a very fine strainer (discard the solids), and pour the almond milk back into the clean blender. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean and add them to the blender, along with sugar and ground cinnamon; blend well. Pour into two glasses, sprinkle with cayenne, and garnish with cinnamon sticks.

copied from: Spain: A Culinary Road Trip by Mario Batali with Gwyneth Paltrow. HarperCollins. 2008.

Gwyneth Paltrow's No-Fry Fries!
  • 2 large russet potatoes (2/3 lb each), peeled
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
  1. Heat oven to 450°. Cut potatoes in half horizontally; cut each half into 1/3-inch-thick fries and place in a bowl of cold water. Remove from water and dry thoroughly. Toss with oil and sprinkle with salt. Place fries on a cookie sheet. Roast until browned and cooked through, turning occasionally, 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment