Saturday, February 11, 2012

Update on bringing Cy home

I had everything in my heart set to us leaving in February to pick up Cy...and more and more that is looking like not the case.  After we even get the call for the EP it is another 2 to 8 weeks before we travel. I need to start hoping for March now.  Everyone says we will forget this time once he is here and maybe that is true, but right now it hurts and it takes all my energy to put on my smiley face.  I feel so alone. When you don't have a belly nobody knows the struggle you are going through. I really enjoy talking about Cy...but if nobody knows he is coming how do you just say, "Oh I am adopting and he will be home soon." You are still an outsider in all the baby/children talk. I want to wear a T-shirt and scream to the world that we are having a baby, just not the conventional kind. :)

Sometimes I feel like it is never going to happen but I have been assured by my agency that even if they closed the doors that South Korea would honor children already placed in referrals. Everyone says, "What is taking so long."  The answer is we have no idea. More then likely the Korean Ministry, government bureaucracy, new regulations, etc...but who knows at this point. "Despite the efforts, of the 9,420 children available for adoption in 2005, only 1,461 were adopted domestically while 2,101 children were allowed to be adopted overseas. So what happened to the nearly 6,000 children who did not get adopted domestically or abroad?  According to statistics of the Korean Ministry of Health and Welfare the number of children entering orphanages has risen from 17,675 in 2004 to 19,000 in 2007 with about 800 to 900 18-year-olds every year aging out of the system with little housing, educational, or vocational support. As in the U.S. foster care system, these children get to remain in their country of origin but with little opportunity to reach their full potential" by Hollie McGinnis.

It breaks my heart. If I had money I would adopt so many kids. Every child should have the chance to be loved and raised with all the opportunity in the world.  I just think it plain sucks. I feel bad for the children that they don't get a say...that it is left up to government. I feel fortunate at least those children that are lucky who get adoption be it domestic or international in South Korea are with a foster family but what about those programs in other countries where kids just sit in an orphanage...waiting and hoping. It isn't fair.  I truly believe their is a reason for everything in this world. Jeremy and I have a purpose and it is to care for those children. While our children won't have Jeremy's nose or my mouth...they will have our integrity, our open mindedness our acceptance our beliefs! We will raise our children to be amazing people and for that is what real mothers and fathers do, whether they are from your womb or not. I am all for countries trying to keep their nationality but please think of the children and if nobody wants them where you are...someone does somewhere else.

I don't ask for much, but if we could get a ton of positive thoughts that he will be home soon, it would be much appreciated! 

Peace and Love

3 comments:

  1. I am praying for you, Sarah and Jeremy! Speed this thing up!
    Leanne Scholand

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah and Jeremy our hearts are with you and we are praying that you will soon be able to go and fetch your son. It is true that you will forget all this when you have him with you, but we understand that you are hurting at the moment and time seems to be going so slow for you. Keep smiling keep positive and you will soon be the family you are dreaming of. lots of hugs to you both and positive vibes
    Irene and Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think of you and Cy every day and pray that he will come home soon. Every time I see you call I think maybe this is the call, so I can't imagine how you feel. I know you put on a smile, but it's a beautiful smile and I am glad I get to see it and soon a third beautiful smile will be in your home. Love you and Jeremy and you have all my positive thoughts

    ReplyDelete