Thursday, September 20, 2012

Retro

There is a lot to be said about Facebook in both good and bad.  However, I have chosen to look and utilize it as good.  It has been 5 months since Cy has been home and a lot of my activities that I became custom to are just really hard to do right now.  People that I normally talk to have been missed, but there are a few people that I never loose touch with on a daily basis. They are the people that I chat with on Facebook. via email and Instagram.

One of my earliest memories was of my grandmother was sitting at her desk writing letters to her friends. She was amazing writer and wonderful at how well she kept in touch with people. She had friends she had met once but wrote letters to on a regular basis until she died. Maybe a picture of kids or grand-kids, but mostly just feelings, thoughts, etc...In her pantry next to the kidney beans was stock piles of cards. I swear I think that she bought them every time they went on sale and even after she passed I still took some with me...and that was almost 20 years ago. My grandmother was an amazing woman who made a huge impact on my life and defines who I am today.  One thing that I always admired her for was her passion for keeping in touch.  She was an amazing woman!

Things have changed since my grandmothers time, things have become easier.  You no longer have to buy paper, envelope or send out in postage. You can have that friend on Facebook or Instagram and keep up on what is going on in their lives. Instead of sitting down and thinking of your letter you can make a comment on a post and  you know...it does count.  I love these social media sites for this vary reason.  Being my age I have friends all over the place and I am sure I will move again in my life but what I love is the easy way to keep in touch. Even without social media...we have the Internet! Shoot an email to a good friend across the seas.  I have become closer to friends via Facebook and I love it! Wishing that some of my friends lived closer or I to them.

I think if my grandmother was alive today she would be so impressed with how accessible it is to keep your friendships healthy and alive. I acknowledge this writing situation as I have gained some really close friends and they are not even in my backyard.  Friends whom I can't wait to hear about their day or see the pictures of their first day of school. It is just so wonderful! I feel so thankful everyday for the people in my life.  For the people whom makes me smile and laugh through their words. People always think friends have to be at your back door when really they can be across the ocean floor.

Remember...keeping in touch is easy. Pay attention to those relationships that are healthy and maybe sometime...pick up a pen...and write an actual letter.

Peace and Love

No comments:

Post a Comment