Saturday, October 29, 2011

Great Read!

I am not a big reader but between my husband and I we read some interesting books.  I thought I would start sharing books we have read and want to read with you. I recently came across this book and it holds very close to my heart.


"The Feast Nearby" was written by Robin Mather.  After searching online I found she has a blog too! Here is some information on Robin Mather. I can't WAIT to read her book! Here is a brief exert from an article I read about her.

Within a week in 2009, Mather lost her job as food writer for The Chicago Tribune and ended her marriage of twelve years. Depressed and lost, she retreated to a small summer home beside a lake in rural Michigan. Few people in the town were full-time residents; most came up on warm weekends, and in the winter the lake was quiet and peaceful. Mather saw this cottage as the perfect place to make a new home with her talkative parrot and playful dog.  With a very limited income, Mather knew that she had to watch her food bills. But she also knew she wanted to spend as much of her forty dollars a week in food expenses on local growers and businesses as she could. She lays down a few ground rules in the book's introduction, including allowances for coffee beans, sugar, and spices to be sourced from further away. But her weekly consumption of produce, meat, and grains would come from farmers within her immediate surroundings, and of course her diet would follow the schedule of the growing season. For more information, click on this link for more on Leah Douglas's article.

Here is Robin's blog too if you would like to continue to follow her, The Feast Nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment