Tuesday, October 11, 2011

It is NOT Ghetto!

I have been a wine drinker and connoisseur pretty much since I graduated from college. I put the Rolling Rock down and moved on. Wine is such a beautiful process linked to our earth that is so much more than one sip.

Making wine you need to really pay attention to where you are planting your vines; what is the weather and climate like in that area. Vines love the struggle, the bigger the struggle...the better the wine.  It is important for the grapes to be harvested in peak condition for their particular variety. Several factors will be considered including sugar levels, color and taste.  Then there is the crush, fermentation, racking and then bottling and aging.  Wine is pretty much produced now all over the world in various levels and varieties.

In the early 2000's the largest producers of wine in the world were, Italy, France, Spain, US and Argentina. However, wine making is popping up all over in unexpected places. I read this great article a while back in Wine Enthusiast about undiscovered wine regions. I have attached the link for you to review. Wine doesn't have to be expensive, contrary to some people's opinion. I mean don't get me wrong I love a Del Dotto full body Cabernet, but I am not independently wealthy and can't afford to drink that way all the time. Recently Jeremy and I discovered...boxed wine!

I know, I know what you are going to say! BOXED WINE...how ghetto! On the contrary! There is some really good boxed wine out there and there is pretty crappy boxed wine, so do your research! I would not trust the cashier because before you know it you will be coming home with a box of Fish Eye wine...no bueno! Here are some of our top pics that I have enjoyed and I hope you do too!

Reds:
  • Bodegas Adria Val Montium Mencia
  • CalNaturale Cabernet Sauvignon 
  • Bota Box Malbec
  • Big House Red 
  • Maipe Malbec
  • Domaine Grand Veneur Cotes du Rhone
I don't drink white so unfortunately I can't help you there, but check some out. Make sure you do your research! What is great is when you want just a tiny glass in the evening you can just turn and close it back up. There is no pumping or wine wasted. There is a GREAT website where you can order boxed wine to try and it is quite spectacular, it is called newschoolwines.com! Check it out and start the box wine movement.


Peace and Love...and Happy Drinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment