Monday, October 3, 2011

Nana Nana Hey Hey...Good Bye Teflon!

There has been a lot of talk over the years about our every day pots and pans.  It is no longer about how well they work for us but more about how are they for our health. Teflon has gotten a bad rap over the past years and there is a lot to be said to as why we should no longer be using it. Jeremy and I had an excellent set of pots and pans...all non-stick of course but before I just tossed them to the curb I wanted to wait until they were no longer usable. As I am an environmentalist first and foremost.

I mean let's get it straight, we LOVE our non-stick pans. They have made cooking and our life so much easier. Those of you might never care of the harmful effect Teflon has on our bodies and will continue to buy it, because let's face it...it is cheaper by far! What is Teflon you ask? First is is a chemical product first Patented and put to market by DuPont in the mid-40's. Teflon is the trademarked name for Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE). It is the basis for all things non-stick. However, it can be linked as a carcinogen to some cancers, according to certain people in the EPA circle. I am attaching a link a couple of articles that I personally enjoyed reading.  Here are a couple good one's; Farewell to Teflon by Nora Ephron and  What Teflon Is and Why You Should Avoid It. I do encourage everyone to do their research on Teflon early and take into consideration when making your next pots and pans purchases.  That is exactly what Jeremy and I did as we slowly re-build our pots and pans set.

Here is what we found after a lot of research. We decided to go with Stainless Steel and I am sorry everyone needs a pan for eggs, but what will that pan be?  I was always super excited about Swiss Diamond. It was is billed as this non-stick surface made of crushed diamonds. However, to give the company credit they do not bill themselves as Teflon free to give them credit. Here is an interesting article that I found about talking about the negative side of Swiss Diamond and here is an article explaining the chemicals by Swiss Diamond.  Here is another review on Swiss Diamond cookware that you can read too.  I have a friend who LOVES her Swiss Diamond and I don't blame her.  If you are going to get non-stick...they might be the better of the brands out there.

Our stainless steel pots we went with the brand Zwillings. I am a huge fan of their knifes and I have to say that their pots and pans got great reviews. However, they are fairly new.  One line they just came out with is their Thermolon frying pay.  It is so new there isn't much out there about it, however the salesperson at our local cookware store tried it out and was really impressed!  Here is some information about Zwilling JA Henckels for all you non-stick lovers!

I hope all my research on the search for the one non-stick pan you will find helpful. To be honest these are very expensive pots and pans. Jeremy and I are slowly building up our new set, mixing and matching based on what is on sale. However, I am learning to cook and live with only a few pans in my life right now and I would rather it be that way then risk any type of health problem.

Peace and Love...Happy Shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment