Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Exertional Compartment Syndrome...What???

My 30-day fitness program is slowly coming to a halt. After skiing with my family over the holiday, the second day I had to stop I had such severe tightness in my calves and the front of my shin and ankle. However, being me I still went for a pretty easy run with my brother-in-law Josh after Christmas (1 minute on and 30 seconds off). However, I have been feeling more pain, numbness in my toes, tightness and I need to get this solved so I can exercise like a normal person. The funny thing about this is that everyone can get it...it isn't isolated to JUST running...it is swimming, football, skiing, soccer, etc... It can be misdiagnosed as shin splits or even a stress fracture before the sports doctor finds the problem.

Today I went back to the ortho (did I mention for a 3rd time) to a different doctor to find out what the hell is wrong. He actually had a few options. After feeling different areas of my leg and my shouting pain he mentioned me having a Compartment Syndrome test. Since when he was feeling parts of my leg I felt horrible pain. It was awful! I almost cried and would jump as he moved his hand to the area of pain!

I have a test set up for Friday, January 13th to get the pressure checked and from what I have been reading if it comes out positive...surgery. Looks like a two week recovery time for surgery at the most and two days for sure no walking or standing at all. I am not really sure what this all means but I have battled this issue all of 2011 and ready for some recovery!

I am totally being my dramatic self and could be jumping the gun...but everything I have read kind of sounds like the symptoms I have had over the past year.  Jeremy and I spoke about considering an MRI, however I have rested, been off the leg, etc...and it just keeps getting worse and the X-Rays show my bones very healthy. After much discussion this morning we decided to have this test done, which let me tell you is PAINFUL per everything I have read! I will be out for at least 24 hours from the test. I think they even knock you out for the test...but who knows.

Here is one of the links I have read:

Chronic Exertional Compartment Syndrome

I will keep you posted on the process! Wish me luck!

Peace and Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment