Monday, January 16, 2012

Our Generation's Civil Rights Movement

On this day, Martin Luther King Jr Day,  it is hard not to reflect on how far we have come and where we are going as a society.  One subject that is very dear to my heart is rights and fair treatment for homosexuals. I feel in my life I have been raised to accept everyone no matter of color, race, social status, sexual orientation, etc. I know that is not the case for everyone. I feel thankful that my husband was raised similarly to me and excited to raise my son to be an accepting person. In light of Martin Luther King day I feel that everyone should take a moment and find a way to open their hearts and minds a little more than the day before.

I was raised Catholic and I am going to tell you I really DON'T think God wants people to hate homosexuals. I think people are naturally afraid of what they don't understand. The idea of the Bible NOT being as anti-homosexuality as generally believed sounds heretical because it's been repeated constantly for decades. The Bible has been used throughout the ages to justify racism, slavery, subjugation of women, and persecution of the Jews. People who clung to those beliefs probably had a hard time accepting that the Bible didn't really endorse those things after all, too.

Here are some good pieces of information for you to check out if you wanted to broaden your horizons:

GOOP - Gwen posted some information on her blog about Homosexuality and the Bible from reputable authors and exerts from their books.


Jesus, the Bible, and Homosexuality - great book to read

For The Bible Tells Me So - great movie

It is difficult for me to even be around people who are closed minded/ignorant. I usually find that these individuals not only have issues with homosexuals but other races, religions, etc. It is so much easier to just accept people. It takes a lot of work to hate and discriminate.

So my passing thought is to love thy neighbor.









No comments:

Post a Comment