Saturday, April 7, 2012

Off to Gyeongju

We are headed out this morning on the KTX to Gyeongju for a few night stay before heading back to Seoul. I have to say I wasn't sure how I would feel about seeing Cy on Thursday and then traveling for a week and it has been mildly difficult. The good old Catholic guilt sets in thinking why are we traveling this long? We have waited so long to see him and now we are just galivanting around Korea. Jeremy doesn't have the same thoughts as me as he is cool with traveling around. The one area where I feel good is that we get to really see Korean culture. Being from Fort Collins and where he will grow up there is not very much Korean culture. We can explain history, people and stories to him as that would be beneficial. But a part of me wishes we were leaving on Monday or Tuesday back to the states. Then another part of me is seriously nervous like, we are bringing this child home! It is going to be rough, is a month at home with him going to be enough? What I have seriously loved is meeting everyone in the guesthouse, making connections and hearing stories. Each family we met has been very involved in keeping the Korean culture alive and current in thier everyday lives and that has been very beneficial to hear and see. They have come back to Korea with thier children two and three times.

Korean food has been suprisingly good. I didn't know much about it and we have eaten at very traditional places. Korean BBQ is suprisingly my least favorite over here. We had the best lunch in Insa-dong which was this dumpling soup! They also put jalapenos or chili paste in everything! I have enjoyed the kimchi at certain places. They use metal chopsticks here which was interesting. Seoul is a very clean and orderly place. The subway system is in English and Korean and Jeremy stated with all of his travels the easiest to get around. Of course the train station is where you see most of the homeless and crazies.Yesterday we went to a traditional tea house and shopped in Insa-dong. We mostly took it easy because I was on 2 hours of sleep and my knees were killing me. I think 5 to 6 hours of sleep might be my max.

We are headed out this morning on the KTX to Gyeongju for a few night stay before heading back to Seoul. What is exciting about Gyeongju is that it is more country side then urban. It will be nice to get out of the city for a few days. The call Gyeongju the museum without walls. It was the capital of the Silla dynasty for over a 1000 years.

After we get back from Gyeongju we are going to Pyeonchek (sp?) and Asan to see where Cy was born, hopefully the orphanage and where his mother is from. Both places are just a few hours south of Seoul.

As much as I am going to enjoy the travels, I am seriously counting the days down until we leave on Friday. I just want to be walking into our home at 11pm on Friday. :)

(PS if there are errors I apologize, my whole page is in Korean and I have no idea what to click to check stuff)

No comments:

Post a Comment