Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Week Two

Our first week with Cy went better then could be expected, however we are now in tantrum/grieving stage. Yesterday was a rough Monday for Cy.  I am pretty sure he was grieving and we had multiple bouts or frustration on his end. Where I feel bad is that I just have no idea what he is saying so I can't help him.  However, thanks to our neighbors The Perry's I now know "kim (sp) means seaweed.

Surprisingly his crying frustrations don't overwhelm me really, which surprises me. The most overwhelming is the diaper/clothing battle. I just don't get it! Seriously how can this be that this kid HATES me putting clothes on him. Not all the time thank god, but it has become the new trend for our family. Plus, I seriously have some cute stuff for him to wear AND he is usually cold. Or do you really want to sit in a dirty diaper...come on! That cannot be comfortable. He wants to do EVERYTHING himself and eat whatever you are eating, but then chew it and spit it out like a cow. Hehe!

We took his toddler bed/crib down, it was never going to be used and just put a mattress on the floor. My brother and sister-in-law did that with their son and it is brilliant.  Our only problem is that our mattress is as hard as our floor so we need to go shopping. He slept on a futon forever with his foster mother so we need to try to match that somehow.  He is sleeping well.  He wakes up usually after a few hours of sleep upset but then goes back to bed after a half hour or so for the night.  I can already see his teenage years as he HATES to wake up.  It takes him forever to get going and if I wake him up from a nap...watch out! It literally cracks me up. Then here is me, mommy, saying change your diaper, lets put this cute outfit on you, blah blah. He is probably thinking to himself, "You have GOT TO be kidding me lady!"

In Korea they really do worship their children and they are rarely told "no" until they go to school.  On May 5th they even have a holiday called, "Children's Day (It is a National Holiday)."  When they are younger they get the run of the roost. So we take this kid to American where he doesn't understand what we are saying, he hears "no" a lot, eats food (since our foster mother was all about the bottle) and we don't let him do whatever he wants.  Although, when he becomes aware he will realize it is Children's Day pretty much everyday at the Nelson's. We are going to give Cy so much opportunity and we will always keep his South Korean roots. That was the whole point of traveling around and just hanging out to understand the country.

Along with us keeping his culture around us, next year we will start going to Heritage Camps.  This is a great way for him to make friends and stay connected to his culture. Our agency is also right down the road and they host monthly events and get together.

Here is the good stuff happening, I don't want to forget this part because he is doing pretty well.  He is starting to eat. I know it probably sounds silly but I want him to eat food so bad!  He loves Kiwi, Strawberries, Italian Ice, Quinoa, rice, Seaweed chips, French Fries and anything someone else is eating. He really enjoys playing in the backyard and hanging out.

Pretty much everything our foster mother told us...he doesn't like or really say or do, so we are starting from square one. 

If anyone has tips on putting lotion on your child, putting clothes on your child or changing your child's diaper when it needs to be changed it would be greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment