Saturday, April 14, 2012

Settling In...

First stroller ride around the block. He loved it!
Cy is settling fairly well so far. He really hates when we change his diaper majority of the time. He literally shakes, cries and at times it is like a wrestling match.  I am guessing it is because it is intimate and we are strangers. He has peed on me twice so far.  Once on the plane home from LA and another at home. I really don't know how it happens but he will have a full diaper after a few hours and then when I go to change it...he pees all over again. Then cries because he is covered with pee and he hates us changing him, etc... I can understand his frustration and feel bad but little buddy needs a diaper change. We have gone through a TON of diapers. He pees a ton!

His biggest struggles are when he wakes up from a nap or sleep. He cries and I am sure he is crying out for his foster mother and father. I feel so bad and you can never understand the "silent tears" until you actually see them for yourself. It is so painful to not even know what he is saying. I wish I knew someone who spoke Korean as there are a few words he repeats and we literally have no idea. As for sign language we try but still a little early.

I assumed we would have like a few feeding times and all would be good. We think his comfort is his bottle. He has a bottle 24/7.  I have been filling it with water sometimes because he never drinks water. He really likes apple juice and his formula. Not to keen on the soy milk or milk yet. He LOVES strawberries, strawberry yogurt and that is about it right now. He really hasn't eaten that much yet. We tried to give him some organic cookies and a piece of a banana once and he just spit it up.

He seems to be okay with both Jeremy and I which is good. It helps a lot with us taking turns. I can't wait until he will eat something solid. I have no idea what you even feed a toddler and feel my cupboard is filled with cookies. LOL

Cy cuddling



Peace and Love

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your journey. Cy is such a neat kiddo. Your family is truly blessed. I think all the "firsts" will be a bit of a struggle for a week or so until he adjusts. Ava was the same way with her diaper change. We stood her up at first as she hated to lay down. Just wait till bath time. That was another "fun" one for us :-) His bottle is probably security to him right now. But it is also probably filling him up and that's why he hasn't eaten alot I bet. Again, I would let him have it as he really needs some familiarity right now. But perhaps in the future only in between meal times have the bottle around? Heck, who knows. Eventually only you will maybe :-) we're 4 years into It and learn something new everyday. Just when you think you have it all figured out, he'll change!!! Ah, the joys of Parenthood! Welcome to the family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, girl, it will get better so much sooner and faster than you can ever imagine -- it really, really will. I am sure you just need to hold him a lot now, but here are some snack suggestions: raisins, craisins, yogurt sticks, applesauce, diced fruit cups, chopped up chicken nuggets or veggie burgers, black beans & corn, cheese cubes, bananas, Gerber pasta pick-ups, scrambled eggs, Cheerios, cut up hard-boiled eggs, chopped apples, sliced grapes... It is great that he can comfort himself with his bottle--that is HUGE! Ben still doesn't like vegetables, so we supplement his diet with those baby food pouches filled with a mix of veggies and fruit. That will all get straightened out over time...

    The first few days and nights can be such a dark time. :( Know that you are not alone and your experience is so normal. Message or email me and Kellie if you need to vent. Anytime. :)

    ReplyDelete