Friday, September 2, 2011

Healthy Road Trip Snacks - Homeward Bound!

Jeremy and I are off on our yearly family visit.  What works out pretty nice is that my family is in Omaha, NE and his in Chatfield, MN we are able to kill two birds with one stone because they are pretty much on the same path. When I was younger I would BEG my parents to stop at a McDonald's or Burger King.  In fact, I clearly remember as we would drive by saying their names as we passed by each one with hopes my eight year old brainwashing would have worked.  Sometimes it did and sometimes it didn't.  If you don't believe me ask my sister Jill. We laugh about it now!

These days I do everything in my power to NOT stop at those places. First, it is completely unhealthy and second completely processed.  Today for our road trip here are the healthy snacks I have packed.

  1. Fried egg sandwich (good cold too plus the eggs are from our chickens)
  2. Tomatoes with olive oil and salt and pepper
  3. Steamed fresh green beans, they are also pretty good raw
  4. Sweet cantaloupe for dessert!
Now you might ask, Sarah don't these get messy! I thought the same thing until someone told me to BRING TOOTHPICKS! Bloody brilliant I tell you! No messy hands! Just make sure you cut them enough to hold the toothpick utensil.
    These will hopefully get us through our eight hour drive across Nebraska.  Along with some heated political discussion, trivial pursuit cards (such a fun way to pass time) and good old fashioned music.  I think more then anything I am excited for Jeremy and I to spend some quality time together.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment