Friday, September 16, 2011

Swimming...Such a Passion

I have always been an exercise enthusiast! I enjoy pretty much everything, however I have always leaned toward running. Recently after running the Boulder Bolder I ended up with a stress fracture, which put me out for almost the whole summer. During this time I joined the Masters Lite Swim class at my local gym to keep myself in shape and soon it would be the beginning of a new relationship. I literally LOVE my Masters swim class. I look forward to it every Tuesday and Thursday.

What is Masters Swim class you are wondering? It is structured workouts utilizing techniques of interval training in an atmosphere of fun, fitness, friendship and participation. Swimming you can increase your endurance, muscle strength and cardio-vascular fitness.  I am a fan of the Livestrong website and it is always a good source of information. Here is a link to why swimming is such a good benefit to your daily health and fitness.


http://www.livestrong.com/article/100383-benefits-swimming-exercise/

I have always been a swimmer. My favorite is swimming first thing in the morning, the glass of the water is so beautiful and peaceful (if you are alone). I enjoy that my gym has a heated outdoor pool and the chillness of the morning weather with steam coming off the water is priceless. Every time I start my laps I love how it feels when you first push off...the glide of that first stroke...how the water feels as it begins to caress you as you enter your mile long routine. It is amazing in such a controlled environment how you entire body works together. You can feel all of your muscles coming together to increase your speed. 

I want to suggest Nike's new line of Cut out swimming suits for lap swimming! They are great!


I hope you spice up your workout routine and try swimming next time you want to shake your routine up.

1 comment:

  1. As a long-time competitive swimmer, I would also recommend TYR suits for longevity. I've had Speedo, Nike, TYR, and some off brands, and the TYR has kept its shape and elasticity the best by far. But no need to throw away the old saggy suits - just put those on over your new tight suit for some extra drag during practices! It's sort-of like swimming with weights attached.

    ReplyDelete