Saturday, September 24, 2011

Pesto! Pesto! Pesto!

Jeremy and I have never been fans of pesto.  Even when we traveled around Italy, we never ate it the entire time.  We just didn't like pesto - until recently, with a meal that we had with our neighbor Matt.  We literally call it the most legendary lunch of all time!  First, let me describe the lunch.  We had homemade pumpkin ravioli that Jeremy made with a brown butter sage and manchego pesto (pesto made by my neighbor Matt) and left over Flank Steak marinated overnight in a homemade chimchurri sauce.  Now...take a moment to picture the deliciousness. That was the beginning of a new love affair with pesto.

The key for me with pesto is using Manchego instead of Parmesean. For those non cheese enthusiasts, Manchego is a Spanish cheese from the La Mancha region of Spain from the milk of sheep. I prefer to use the 6 month aged cheese.  Here is neighbor Matt's Pesto recipe:

Everything (per Matt) should be equal parts:
  • Fresh basil
  • Pine Nuts or to save a little bit of money...walnuts
  • Manchego
  • 2 or 3 cloves of garlic
Matt told us to not use oil when you blend everything, and instead add it when you pull it out of the freezer. I freeze in separate parts.

Tonight, Jeremy and I snacked on the yummiest treat!  I toasted bread with a little olive oil, spread pesto and topped with a tomato. I also sauted up some sliced Japanese eggplant to add to the bread too.  Here is a picture to get your mouth watering!


This is made with everything grown in our garden, locally made (the bread) or homemade!!!  Picture perfect of summer plenty!

No comments:

Post a Comment